Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thankfulness

There are so many elements of my life that I must be lend my thankfulness to. Most notably, I want to be thankful for the opportunities that I have been given. There are so many different experiences that I have been completely blessed to take part in. I was able to go to Rutgers for genetic research, participate in a Christian missionary trip, go to Girl's State, participate in community service with various people and affiliations, and most importantly, that I have been able to live and reap the benefits of living in the best country in the world. Because I live in this country, I have been given the blessings that so many around the world are not given. People complain about the problems we have in our country and the issues we have to deal with; yet, problems such as homelessness are terrible and should be non-existent but are so much less major in our country than many other stable countries (Great Britain, France, etc).

There are many other gifts we are given as citizens of the U.S. that are much more precious and better than other countries. People complain about what we have to go through to get a driver's license or that we have to pa $50 to get a new one. Well, people in Germany have to pay $500, take a type of behind the wheel for a much longer time than we do, pay for learning material to study for the test (about $100), among other numerous requirements, and if they do not pass the first time, they have to pay the $500 again. All of those requirements are approximates, by the way. The actual numbers may be higher, but I am sure that they are not lower. The basic point that I am trying to get at is that the United States is a good place to live.

I do not know that much about other countries and will never claim to know everything; however, from what I have learned in German and other classes only reinforces my ideas that we live in a wonderful country. Sure, we have had our problems; the only difference is that my history teachers have taught me all the sides of history, where the U.S. is at fall too. Many other countries claim that we say we have never done these things in our country, but Americans are aware of our faults more than people would like to admit. We have accepted what we have done wrong and try to provide some type of compensation for it, in most cases. I do not see England giving religious freedom or benefits to the Catholics in Ireland that they persecuted. We know that we have wronged our black population and seek to make it right by providing rights listed in the Constitution.

I love this country more than I could ever express. That is why I, among with many other men and women, am willing to die to ensure that all of you can still live in it. I want to make sure that all of you are proud of where you came from and happy to live here. Believe me, you may think the grass is greener in other countries, but it is not. Read up on a little world history and current events in the world. You will be less single-minded of how you hate or love the United States. Many men and women have paid the ultimate sacrifice to make sure that you can still have all of your freedoms. DO NOT take that for granted at all. Love every moment that you are given the opportunities that you are. I know that I am thankful for such things. I love my country and love my opportunities. God Bless America and all of the Americans that make this country great.

No comments: